Older Person's Shared Ownership (OPSO)

Other Housing Options - OPSO_web.jpg

The way you access a Help to Buy agent is changing 

From 2 January 2020, you will be able to apply for help to buy schemes from one of three agents across England. This means our current Help to Buy agents’ services will shortly be replaced. 

The changes should not affect your house purchase. 

If you are buying a new home using a Help to Buy: Equity Loan, we will automatically transfer everything to your new agent, so that they can continue to support your equity loan application and house purchase. 

If you have any questions, please get in touch. 


Some Shared Ownership properties are built specifically for older people who may be looking to buy a smaller property as their current home is too big for them, or has become unsuitable for their needs.

To apply for these properties you must be over 55 years of age and meet the criteria needed to purchase a new home with OPSO. Contact us if you are unsure if you qualify.

The scheme works in a similar way to Shared Ownership, where you buy a share in the new home, which will range from 25% to 75%, depending on what you can afford. Through Older Person’s Shared Ownership (OPSO) the maximum share you can buy is 75%.

This means that you need to get a smaller mortgage to buy the property, and will also need a smaller deposit.

A housing association owns the remaining share and you will pay a reduced rent on that share. You can buy more shares as and when you can afford them - this is called 'Staircasing’- and as you buy more shares, you will pay less rent. If you choose to buy the maximum 75% share, you will pay no rent on the remaining 25%.

You may also have to pay a service charge if, for example, the property is a flat with a communal area. Details of the rent and service charge payable for each property can be found on our website, or from the housing association who owns the other share of the property.

As a home owner, you will be responsible for the maintenance and repairs on your home. If you live in an apartment, your landlord will be responsible for the communal areas.

To search for OPSO properties, visit our Property Search page. You can apply for the homes through our website.

Find out more

Useful downloads